Lemon Carrots and Rutabaga
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch julienne strips (about 2 cups)
- 1 small rutabaga (10 ounces), peeled and cut into 3-inch julienne strips (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, rutabaga and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 13-15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until butter is melted.
- Drain vegetables; add butter mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are glazed, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 93 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Oct 25, 2014
The hardest part is cutting the two vegetables. :)
Sep 23, 2014
This is a great easy side dish. The lemon and dill really add a great flavour to these two veggies.
Jun 12, 2008
I made this dish for Mother's Day and it was a huge success. It has been years since I had rutabaga's and the combination of carrots, lemon and dill made it wonderful. As my future mother-in-law said, "this is a keeper"!