Lemon Cake Custard
“This old-time dessert is still a wonderful finale to a meal,” writes Brenda Sanders of Hampstead, North Carolina. “I hope Taste of Home readers enjoy it.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the milk, lemon juice, butter and lemon zest. Beat egg yolks; add to lemon mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into lemon mixture.
- Spoon into six greased 8-oz. ramekins or baking dishes. Place in a 13x9-in. baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately or chill.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 254 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Cake Custard in Taste of Home February/March 2006