Lemon Butterfly Cupcakes
These cute cupcakes start with a homemade white cake and are topped with lemon pudding. Licorice antennae add a nice touch. —Bonnie Hagerman, Frederick, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 28 pieces shoestring licorice (2 inches), optional
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. cone-shaped piece 1 in. deep from the center of each cupcake. Carefully remove and set aside. Fill cavity with pudding mixture.
- For wings, cut reserved cone pieces in half vertically; arrange on top of filling with points touching. Insert licorice for antennae if desired. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 235 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Butterfly Cupcakes in Taste of Home Recipe Card Collection Winter 2010
Dec 18, 2012
These weren't necessarily the tastiest cupcakes I've ever eaten, but they had the great virtue of holding together when you take them out of the pan! I didn't do the butterfly thing.