Lemon Butterfly Cupcakes
These cute cupcakes start with a homemade white cake and are topped with lemon pudding. Licorice antennae add a nice touch. —Bonnie Hagerman, Frederick, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 28 pieces shoestring licorice (2 inches), optional
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. cone-shaped piece 1 in. deep from the center of each cupcake. Carefully remove and set aside. Fill cavity with pudding mixture.
- For wings, cut reserved cone pieces in half vertically; arrange on top of filling with points touching. Insert licorice for antennae if desired. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 235 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 18, 2012
These weren't necessarily the tastiest cupcakes I've ever eaten, but they had the great virtue of holding together when you take them out of the pan! I didn't do the butterfly thing.