These sweet lemony rolls are always a hit no matter where I take them. I enjoy baking— especially with yeast— and this is one of my favorite recipes.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 package (2.9 ounces) cook-and-serve lemon pudding/pie filling mix
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Prepare pudding mix according to package directions; cover and refrigerate. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar until thickened. Add the yeast mixture, milk, butter, salt, egg whites and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 36 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheet. With thumb, make a large indentation in center of each ball; stretch to 3-1/2 in. in diameter. Place about 2 teaspoons of pudding in each indentation. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm buns.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.