- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, lemon juice and zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine glaze ingredients. Remove bread from pan; immediately drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews forLemon Bread
"I have made this bread 3 times now and it's wonderful. My only addition is that I added a box of lemon pudding. I think puts it over the top!!!!"
"Love this bread. easy to make and bake. Baked it in my round stoneware pan. I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding 4 tsp of lemon zest to the batter. I love the taste of lemon in bread. I did not make the glaze, saving on some calories. I thought it was a bit too sweet for my liking, so next time I will drop the sugar to 3/4 cup."
"quick and easy to make. Lemon flavor wasn't overpowering and bread was moist. A bit on the sweet side. I used an 8.5x4.5 pan and had to cook about 15-20 min longer than specified because the center was not solidified but I loosely covered in foil on the last 10 minutes so the outside would not over brown."
"Excellent recipe! The lemon bread turned out to be so wonderful and difficult to stop eating. My husband, who generally doesn't eat many sweets, really enjoyed this and kept saying how good it is. In fact, he started out to just have a bite of my slice and 1 1/3 slice later he was done with his "bite"! I grated a little too much lemon peel, so I just threw it into the glaze. I definitely plan to make this again and try it with some of the reviewers variations!"
"I liked the recipe but am thinking of adding strawberries just to change it up next time"
"There is not enough lemon taste. So I added King Arthur Flour's Lemon powder which gives give it a wonderful tangy lemon flavor to anything you bake."
"I was hoping this would taste like lemon pound cake, but it just tastes like ..cake. Nothing special compared to any other lemon cake, even a doctored up box mix. The glaze is too sweet, if I was going to use it I'd cut the amount in half overall. My toddler tasted the outside of the cake with the glaze and wouldn't bother trying the rest it was too much."
"I used this recipe to make muffins for my kids & latch-key kids to enjoy when they got home from school! They frequently requested it. Other than making muffins instead of bread & reducing the sugar to 3/4 cup, the only other change I made is not using the glaze because it got the kids' hands sticky. When I've made it for adults, I do use the glaze & it's delicious. It has wonderful, tangy lemon flavor!"
"This amazing recipe was delicious!!! The lemon flavor was present and the texture was spot-on! My only complaint is that the edges on my lemon bread burnt a little"