Lemon Blueberry Shortcakes
Who wouldn't smile if this dessert was placed in front of them? Cute, lemony and chilled, this is the perfect summer's day treat! —Jackie Pressinger, Stuart, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min.
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 3 tablespoons sweetened lemonade drink mix
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine ice cream and drink mix; cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds, lemon zest and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and cream; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in blueberries.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat into a 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. star-shaped cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown around edges, 8-10 minutes.
- To assemble, split cakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each bottom layer with a scant 1/4 cup of ice cream mixture. Replace shortcake tops. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 282 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Blueberry Shortcakes w/ Lemony Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2009