Lemon Blueberry Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the blueberries, nuts and lemon zest.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 181 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 11, 2019
I’ve made this numerous times and it always turns out moist with just the right mix of tart and sweet. Since it doesn’t specify powdered sugar, I use granulated which gives it a clear glaze rather than something more like a frosting. Yummy!
Jun 20, 2019
This was delicious. I assumed the 1/4 cup of sugar for the glaze was powdered sugar. Has anyone used granulated sugar for the glaze? Not sure which is correct.
May 29, 2019
I have made this several times and am about to make it again. It is a wonderful, tangy, moist bread. The glaze just enhances it. It is a regular at our Easter brunch and requested each year!
Apr 8, 2019
It’s perfect. I’ve made this quite a few times, one as a side to brunch- lunch and the other as a decadent dessert when I add a vanilla lemon buttercream icing. It’s wonderful. I add a 1/4 ts of almond extract and I suspend the blueberries in flour before adding them to the batter.
Jan 23, 2019
I have made this many many times over the years
Jan 21, 2019
This is delicious! I will make it, again and again, ad infinitum lol
Jan 13, 2019
Heavenly! Plenty of lemon flavor! I did not have zest so I increased lemon juice by 3 TBSP and decreased milk by the same amount. It definitely needs the longer cooking time so don’t rush it! My husband said it was a perfect balance of lemon and sweet. (Thanks to fhquilting for tip about lining the bottom with waxed paper. It made taking it out of the pan a breeze.)
Jul 1, 2018
This was good. However my blueberries did so k to the bottom. I googled my problem and apparantly if u toss the fruit in the flower mixture before adding this will prevent them from sinking. It was a little sweet with the icing so next time I will have to try a confectioner sugar glaze.
May 25, 2018
This is very good quick bread. My daughter-in-law raises her own blueberries, so I always get some when they are ripe to make this special bread.
May 21, 2018
Delicious! Very moist with a similar texture to pound cake.