Lemon Berry Cake
From Chester, Maryland, Karen Ehatt adds tangy taste to a plain yellow cake mix with lemon gelatin and blueberries. "Serve warm with a dollop of sweet whipped cream," she suggests.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 package (6 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar
- Whipped cream or topping, optional
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Stir in lemon zest. Pour into a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with blueberries. In a small bowl, whisk gelatin and water until gelatin is dissolved. Slowly pour over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake layer comes out with moist crumbs (cake will set upon cooling). Cool slightly on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Lemon Berry Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 2000
Jul 8, 2010
This light easily assembled cake has become a staple in my kitchen. I try to keep the ingredients on hand for emergencies. Most people think it takes way more effort than it does.