Lemon Beans with Prosciutto
There’s nothing ordinary about these green beans. Prosciutto and white wine make them decadent and special. —Lori Wiese, Humboldt, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, julienned
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook prosciutto in oil over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
- In the same skillet, combine the wine, lemon juice and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 4-7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Add beans to skillet; toss to coat. Sprinkle with prosciutto just before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 127 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Lemon Beans with Fried Prosciutto in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010