Prepared with a boxed cake mix, these light lemony cookies come from Pam Frankenfield of Halethorpe, Maryland. With flecks of basil, the yummy golden treats with flaked coconut and chopped pecans will be a hit at any summer gathering.
Recommended: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and lemon juice. Gradually add cake mix and mix well. Stir in the coconut, pecans, basil and lemon peel.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Basil Cookies in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p42