- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, butter and confectioners' sugar. Pat into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice and zest; beat until frothy. Pour over the crust. Bake 25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forLemon Bars
"Exact same recipe in my 1976 Betty Crocker cookbook!"
"I loved this recipe!! II is just like my recipe that I have in my recipe box. Bet my recipe is over 50 years old Read a lot of the comments and found it interesting that people were adding nuts to the base. I like how it just melts in your mouth. I will be making this again. I too will be freezing them for portion control!!!"
"Hi Anna,All of our temperatures are in Fahrenheit."
"Is it 350 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius?"
"I love these lemon bars! The filling and crust both have a nice texture. I was reading that some reviewers put lemon extract in their filling for more lemon flavor. I added an extra teaspoon of zest and an extra tablespoon of juice. This gave me enough lemon flavor. I will make these again!"
"Excellent! I added a small package of cream cheese to the lemon filling and my family loved it!"
"Good but a bit too sweet"
"we get home from vaca in a few days-this'll be made quickly"
"I followed the recipe exactly. I like the filling but the crust was too sweet. I love sweets but this was too much. I ruined it when I tried getting it out of the pan, definitely needs greasing or parchment paper. I will make it again but with less sugar"
"Absolutely delicious but I added 1 teaspoon of lemon extract to the mix!!"