Lemon Balm Bread
This moist quick bread tastes best the day after it's made. Lemon balm is a lovely addition to both the batter and glaze.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped lemon balm leaves
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped lemon balm leaves
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and lemon balm. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in walnuts if desired and lemon zest. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, water and lemon juice; stir in lemon balm. Spoon over warm bread while still in the pan. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 piece: 229 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 30, 2018
Made this for my granddaughter who is fascinated with herbs. Delicious, light, quick to make.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC