This impressive dessert, piled high with vanilla ice cream, lemon sauce and meringue, won my mother the grand prize in a local cooking contest as a first-time entrant. It's the perfect finale to a special meal. -Kevin Weeks North Palm Beach, Florida
Recommended: 19 Easter Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter; add sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. Stir in eggs and yolks; cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread half of the ice cream into pastry shell. Top with lemon mixture and remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a portable mixture, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°; about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over frozen pie. Bake at 450° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Baked Alaska in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p35