Lemon Asparagus Soup
We have a small asparagus patch, and my husband and I wait eagerly for this tasty vegetable to appear every spring. We're pleased to use our precious harvest in this soup. Lemon and nutmeg give it a surprising spark. —Darlene Swille, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash seasoned salt
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the saucepan with bouillon. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add asparagus. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, lemon zest, nutmeg and seasoned salt. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 182 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Mar 1, 2013
Very light and refreshing taste. Easy to make, I'll be making this again!
Mar 7, 2011
Very good, simple. Don't let the soup simmer too long, the asparagus can get a little mushy.
Jun 25, 2010
My husband loved this soup. It is very easy to make.