- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10 eggs)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Combine cake flour and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, extracts and salt until foamy. Add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in flour mixture, about a fourth at a time. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Using a meal spatula or knife, cut through batter to remove air pockets. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan with a knife and remove. For sauce, beat eggs and sugar in a double boiler. Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook over simmering water until mixture thickens and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes; chill. Fold in whipped cream. Serve with cake. Store sauce in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forLemon Angel Food Supreme
"I am a volunteer TOH field editor and have made this many times!!! It is so light and refreshing!!! Sometimes I serve it with some sliced raspberries or strawberries and then top it with the lemon sauce! So delicious-definitely 5 star worthy!!"
"WOW! Delicious!! Will definitely make again. Thinking it would be really good as a base for strawberry shortcake! :)"