Lemon Angel Food Supreme
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups large egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, a fourth at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- For sauce, whisk eggs and sugar in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon zest. Cook until mixture thickens and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Fold whipped cream and food coloring if desired into sauce. Serve with cake. Refrigerate any leftover sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 318 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2014
I am a volunteer TOH field editor and have made this many times!!! It is so light and refreshing!!! Sometimes I serve it with some sliced raspberries or strawberries and then top it with the lemon sauce! So delicious-definitely 5 star worthy!!
Jan 28, 2013
WOW! Delicious!! Will definitely make again. Thinking it would be really good as a base for strawberry shortcake! :)