I received this recipe from my great-grandmother who brought this over from England, where they enjoyed leeks immensely during the Fall and Winter.—Suzanne Kesel, Cohocton, New York
Recommended: 43 Ways to Make Classic Irish Food at Home
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender, adding leeks during the last 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; mash with eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in leeks. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 12 pancakes.
Originally published as Leek Potato Pancakes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p162