Lazy Pierogi Bake
A favorite dish in our family is pierogi—tasty pockets of dough filled with cottage cheese and onions. Making pierogi is time-consuming, so my mom created this easy casserole.—Sandy Starks, Amherst, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute onions until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook until tender. Stir in sauerkraut and half of the bacon. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, celery seed and pepper. Drain pasta.
- Place a fourth of the pasta in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer each with a fourth of the sauerkraut and soup mixture. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.