When I first served this wonderful brunch casserole at a family reunion a few years ago, I think I wrote out at least a dozen copies of the recipe! My husband and I enjoy country living in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Recommended: 50 Festive Christmas Brunch Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound day-old Italian or French bread, sliced
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and crumbled
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Line the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with bread. Sprinkle with sausage. Beat eggs, milk and pepper; pour over sausage. Press bread down with a spatula to absorb egg mixture. Top with cheese and parsley. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lazy Day Casserole in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p7