- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until combined. In a saucepan, bring milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Add to batter and beat until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine frosting ingredients; spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forLazy Daisy Cake
"Love the cake. The recipe dates at least back to 1944, published by the WI Dept. of Ag. as "Favorite Recipes from America's Dairyland", a book that was handed out by some state candidates seeking office.See original cook book here...http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php? CISOROOT=/tp&CISOPTR=55141&CISOSHOW=55011and original recipe under Cakes, on page 41 on that link. Our family must have modified the frosting recipe by heating it up while the cake was baking."
"The cake was more dense than I like but had a really good taste. Next time I make it, I'll broil the icing a little bit longer."
"My mother use to make this. I also made it for years. I love the icing and couldn't remember how to make the icing. I didn't know if my mother made it up or if I would really find it. And I did. thank you"
"This cake is SOOOO yummy... very moist and the icing is delicious..."
"please remove rating - wrong recipe"
"This is one of my favorite cakes. I don't think I have ever come across anyone that didn't love it."
"Scrumptious!!! It's good with chopped pecans added to the topping as well. I use 1 cup coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Yummy!!"