Layered Turkey Casserole
This creamy casserole is an excellent way to use up leftover turkey and rice. In fact, I won a newspaper recipe contest with it years ago. It's great for when you're expecting company, because it can be put together the night before. Then just top with the onions and bake.—Joyce Platfoot, Wapakoneta, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the rice, broccoli, turkey, mushrooms and cheese. Pour broth over top.
- In a small bowl, combine soup and mayonnaise; spread over top. Sprinkle with onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 379 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Dec 26, 2011
I made this with left over turkey. I used Uncle Ben's original flavor long grain & wild rice, which gave it a little more flavor, but it is still lacking something. I will make it again, but will try to spice it up a little more.