This is a nice dish for potluck dinners and picnics—my family really devours it whenever I serve it! My sister used to serve tortilla pie at the hunting and fishing lodge she operated in Colorado.—Delma Snyder, McCook, Nebraska
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and, if desired, olives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Lightly butter tortillas on one side; place one tortilla, buttered side down, in a 2-qt. round casserole. Top with about 1/2 cup meat mixture and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Pour water around the sides of casserole (not over top). Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Layered Tortilla Pie in Country Ground Beef 1993, p95
Reviews for Layered Tortilla Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review