Layered Southwestern Chicken Salad
This beautiful salad is pretty enough to be a centerpiece, and it comes together in a snap. But don't tell your guests, they'll think you spent hours on it! —Marci Dietrich of Fairfax Station, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) ready-to-use Southwestern chicken strips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- Additional fresh cilantro leaves
- For dressing, in a blender, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a 4-qt. glass salad bowl, layer the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Serve with dressing.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 511 calories, 32g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1127mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Salad in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008
Mar 15, 2011
This is one of the most amazing recipes I've ever made. The dressing totally makes it. People rave about it everywhere I take it. I've already made it several times and will continue. Delicious.