- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, toss walnuts with the oil, garlic salt and dill. Spread in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Cool.
- In a 2-1/2-qt. bowl, layer 2 cups lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, peas, 3/4 cup walnuts and remaining lettuce.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Spread dressing over top of salad (do not toss). Chill until serving.
- Just before serving, top with remaining walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forLayered Salad with Walnuts
"made it as directed - turned out great. have made several times, always receive a lot of compliments."
"I just served this for Thanksgiving and got many compliments and requests for the recipe. I think it's the nuts that give it that special twist. However, I did make a few changes: I didn't put more lettuce on top and made a little more dressing, as I wanted to make sure there was enough to seal the veggies completely - that way they stay crisp in the fridge overnight. Also I didn't add more dressing at serving time - just garnished with the walnuts. I used sharp cheddar and didn't bother thawing the peas, they will thaw overnight. This salad is great for a big dinner like Thanksgiving as you can make it the day before. Definitely try this one."