Layered Salad Reuben-Style
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed rye bread
- 1 package (16 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 2 cups chopped pastrami
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Thousand Island salad dressing
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, salt and pepper. Add bread cubes and toss to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- In a large salad bowl, layer half the salad greens, pastrami, tomato, sauerkraut, onions and dressing; repeat layers. Sprinkle with croutons and cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 172 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 1, 2013
This was a really good salad recipe. I will make one change next time and only use half of the dressing. People can always add more at the table if they like, but soggy salad is not good.
Jul 26, 2010
I was looking for a "different" salad to make for my party and this was it!! Delicious and very easy to put together. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!