Layered Rueben Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 ounces deli pastrami, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, ketchup, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; set aside. In another large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, pastrami, cheese, sour cream and mustard.
- Press a third of the beef mixture into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Top with half of the pastrami mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 302 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 12, 2011
My husband said this was tasty and I agree. I made 1/2 this recipe and baked it in a 3 cup Pyrex casserole dish. My alterations threw the cook time off because the loaf was finished after 45 minutes. I'll definately make this recipe again.
May 7, 2009
This is a particularly HUGE success for our family! Family members who are not crazy about sauerkraut even enjoy this recipe for SECONDS! Very easy to make, and is made as a regular item in our household! Definitely a MUST TRY recipe!