Layered Rueben Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 ounces deli pastrami, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, ketchup, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; set aside. In another large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, pastrami, cheese, sour cream and mustard.
- Press a third of the beef mixture into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Top with half of the pastrami mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 302 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Mar 12, 2011
My husband said this was tasty and I agree. I made 1/2 this recipe and baked it in a 3 cup Pyrex casserole dish. My alterations threw the cook time off because the loaf was finished after 45 minutes. I'll definately make this recipe again.
May 7, 2009
This is a particularly HUGE success for our family! Family members who are not crazy about sauerkraut even enjoy this recipe for SECONDS! Very easy to make, and is made as a regular item in our household! Definitely a MUST TRY recipe!