Layered Poppy Seed Cake
It's just not Christmas at our house until I bake and ice this old-time layer cake-my husband's favorite since he was a boy.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- FILLING/ TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped walnuts and confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine milk and poppy seeds; let stand for 1 hour. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into creamed mixture.
- Spread into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Combine egg yolks and milk; gradually stir into sugar mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely. Stir in walnuts and vanilla.
- Cut each cake layer horizontally in half. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Garnish with additional walnuts and confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 442 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Layered Poppy Seed Cake in Country Woman Christmas 2004