This layered lettuce salad makes a beautiful presentation in a glass bowl. Once the lettuce is in the bowl, place the sliced eggs against the inside perimeter of the bowl for added interest. When you are ready to serve, toss the salad in another extra-large bowl with the dressing of your choice--Italian or balsamic vinaigrette, or creamy Italian.
Recommended: 50 Chicken Recipes That Are Surprisingly Low-Calorie
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Italian salad dressing of your choice
- In a 3-1/2-qt. bowl, layer the first 10 ingredients in order listed. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Layered Italian Chicken Salad in Simple & Delicious March/April 2008, p18