Layered Ham and Spinach Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 16 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place two-thirds of the spinach in a 4-qt. salad bowl. Sprinkle with half of the sugar, pepper and salt. Top with eggs, ham and remaining spinach. Sprinkle with remaining sugar, pepper and salt. Arrange onion slices on top.
- In a large bowl, combine the dressing mix, mayonnaise and sour cream. Spread over onions. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 516 calories, 45g fat (13g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 997mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2012
This was a good salad, but I would make a few changes: first, my husband said there was too much dressing, so I would cut the dressing ingredients in half. Also, I used packaged pre-shredded cheese, which made it much too salty, something I've noticed before - shred fresh from a block of cheese. Save 1-2 of the hard-boiled eggs to garnish the top of the salad. I did add chopped fresh pineapple chunks layered with the ham - the sweetness contrasted very well with the saltiness of the bacon. However, I suggest draining the pineapple well on paper towels first so that excess liquid from them doesn't ruin the salad's texture. I used a medium package of baby spinach, which was plenty - I don't think 16 cups is necessary unless perhaps you're using the regular, torn up.