Layered Fruit Salad
This colorful salad is a real eye-catcher, and it tastes as good as it looks. Fresh fruit is always a welcome side dish with a summer meal. The addition of oranges and grapefruit gives this salad a different twist. -Page Alexander, Baldwin City, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 2 cups fresh or drained canned pineapple chunks
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 medium oranges, sectioned
- 1 medium grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the juices, sugar, zest and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, layer fruit in a glass serving bowl. Remove cinnamon stick from the sauce; pour sauce over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 137 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Layered Fruit Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.