Layered Chocolate Cake
"It is hard to believe this impressive dessert started with a boxed cake mix," relates Dorothy Monroe of Pocatello, Idaho. Cream cheese in the icing provides the luscious finishing touch.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the dry pudding mix, gelatin and milk; cook according to package directions for pudding. Cool.
- Cut cake into three 10x5-in. rectangles. Place one on a serving platter. Spread with half of the pudding mixture; repeat layers. Top with third layer.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the sugar and cocoa and vanilla until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 600 calories, 33g fat (15g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Layered Chocolate Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2000