"It is hard to believe this impressive dessert started with a boxed cake mix," relates Dorothy Monroe of Pocatello, Idaho. Cream cheese in the icing provides the luscious finishing touch.
Recommended: 34 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the dry pudding mix, gelatin and milk; cook according to package directions for pudding. Cool.
- Cut cake into three 10x5-in. rectangles. Place one on a serving platter. Spread with half of the pudding mixture; repeat layers. Top with third layer.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the sugar and cocoa and vanilla until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Layered Chocolate Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p37
Reviews forLayered Chocolate Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2011