Layered Chalupa Salad
This favorite is always requested for various family occasions. Although it serves a lot of people, this zippy salad doesn't last long on our dinner table. - Virginia Zeckser, Mode, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Corn chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, finely chopped radishes and sweet onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, water, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and hot sauce; heat through. Place corn chips on a large serving platter; top with beef mixture and toppings of your choice. Drizzle with tomato sauce mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 216 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1066mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Layered Chalupa Salad in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.