- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs, orange juice and oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts (batter will be thick).
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peel; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forLayered Carrot Cake
"Made this cake exactly as the recipe instructed. Turned out fabulous!! Guests loved it. Will definitely be making this again and again!"
"GREAT! I used packaged peeled baby carrots grated through a food processor. Added 1/4 C dark brown sugar and omitted raisins ( 1/2 C coconut instead). Next time I will use orange liquor in the icing as Grand Marnay. Best carrot cake ever!"
"I MADE THIS yesterday for my family reunion. It was a HIT! Everybody, mentioned how it was better than the carrot cake they've purchased at bakeries. As much as possible, I followed the recipe, but I was short on orange zest and confection sugar for the frosting.... it still came out great. For the cake, I added a few dried cranberries, some sweetened coconut and a few Medjool dates and finally instead of just crushing them, I creamed my Walnuts. It made for a denser cake, yet still VERY moist and fragrant. I loved the experience. I loved the accolades. I loved the taste....however, I cant help but wish there was something else I could have done to the batter to add a bit more "humph" to it. Like a kick or something? LOL! Thanks for this recipe!"
"This is the best carrot cake I have ever made. It has been 2 days since I made it and it is even more moist than the first day!"
"Yummy! And so convenient that it uses cake mix & pudding mix. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa"
"So easy and So good!!!"
"I don't own the cake Doctor and I'm so happy to have this recipe! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!"