Lavender & Olive Focaccia
Lavender imparts a delicate flavor to this homemade focaccia. It reminds me of my trips to Italy, and eating it brings back the relaxed vacation mood.—Sherry Haddox, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 wedges each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-2/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 15 Greek olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Stir in the honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons oil, salt and remaining warm water. Add 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a 9-in. circle. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make several 1/4-in. indentations in each loaf. Combine the olives, lavender, garlic and remaining oil; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteLook for dried lavender flowers in spice shops. If using lavender from the garden, make sure it hasn’t been treated with chemicals.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 174 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Lavender and olives Focaccia in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.