Lattice Blackberry Bars
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blackberries
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla until smooth; add to crumb mixture. Toss with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling, combine 2 cups sugar and flour in a large saucepan; add blackberries. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and cinnamon. Cool slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 17x12-in. rectangle; transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with filling. Roll remaining dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Make a lattice crust over filling; seal and flute edges.
- Brush egg over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 21, 2013
This recipe is a winner as is. I've made it many times and the only modification that I have made when time constrained is to just press the half of the dough into the bottom of the pan instead of rolling it out and then making the lattice strips. I have also made this with fresh cherries. However I make it, it always gets rave reviews and there are never leftovers.