I inherited my mother's love of cooking. I serve these crispy potato pancakes for Hanakkah and other celebrations.—Rachel Delano, Tappahannock, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Place potatoes in a clean linen towel; squeeze, reserving liquid in a measuring cup. Set aside until potato starch settles. Drain off top liquid; set potato starch aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, egg, salt, pepper and reserved potato starch. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Shape potato mixture by 2 tablespoonfuls into patties; place in hot oil, pressing lightly to flatten.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately or place in a warm oven until ready to serve.