Lasagna-Style Spaghetti Squash
My lasagna-inspired spaghetti squash is a meatless alternative to the famed bird. It's great for vegetarians or anyone who craves something on the lighter side. —Jenny Lofthus, Goleta, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Optional: Additional grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high 16-18 minutes or until tender.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands; transfer to a microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Stir in marinara sauce, cottage cheese, spinach, tomatoes, basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook, covered, on high 14-16 minutes or until heated through. If desired, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and basil.