Lasagna in a Bun
These sandwiches provide the terrific taste of lasagna without the noodles without the noodles and time-consuming preparation. I often make them share at church dinners. Reba Albers, Long Island, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 small submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup mozzarella, ricotta, egg white, Parmesan and remaining Italian seasoning; mix well.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Carefully hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Spoon meat mixture into buns; top with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Replace bun tops. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 557 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1320mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lasagna in a Bun in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book