Lasagna in a Bun
These sandwiches provide the terrific taste of lasagna without the noodles without the noodles and time-consuming preparation. I often make them share at church dinners. Reba Albers, Long Island, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 small submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup mozzarella, ricotta, egg white, Parmesan and remaining Italian seasoning; mix well.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Carefully hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Spoon meat mixture into buns; top with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Replace bun tops. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 557 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1320mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Lasagna in a Bun in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.