- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 small submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup mozzarella, ricotta, egg white, Parmesan and remaining Italian seasoning; mix well.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Carefully hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Spoon meat mixture into buns; top with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Replace bun tops. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forLasagna in a Bun
"I dded mushrooms to the sauce. Instead of hoagies, I just purchased one big French Roll as it was cheaper that way."