These sandwiches provide the terrific taste of lasagna without the noodles without the noodles and time-consuming preparation. I often make them share at church dinners. Reba Albers, Long Island, North Carolina
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 small submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup mozzarella, ricotta, egg white, Parmesan and remaining Italian seasoning; mix well.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Carefully hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Spoon meat mixture into buns; top with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Replace bun tops. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lasagna in a Bun in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p108
Reviews forLasagna in a Bun
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2016
"I dded mushrooms to the sauce. Instead of hoagies, I just purchased one big French Roll as it was cheaper that way."