Land of Enchantment Posole
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla strips, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook pork and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the broth, hominy, chilies, jalapeno if desired, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper and cayenne.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir in cilantro. Serve with tortilla strips if desired.
1-1/3 cups: 430 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1266mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Aug 15, 2019I've made this recipe more than a dozen times and it is a family favorite. I make no substitutions. Its perfect just the way it is.
Feb 16, 2019EXCELLENT soup.......enjoyed it very much.
Jan 29, 2019This was a warming treat on a snowy day, my husband loved it and asked to take leftovers to work for lunch (a rarity!). Will definitely make again.
May 7, 2018
This soup is Delicious! I made low and slow pork verde a few days ago and used the leftover pork verde for this soup. Sooo good!
Apr 8, 2018
This is a great posole. I make it as it is. If I do make changes, I add more fire roasted green chilis! We serve this with some warm cheese tortillas
Oct 12, 2015
YUM. Excellent with chicken breast and broth rather than pork.
Mar 27, 2015
Excellent! Followed the recipe exactly. Provided this for a church function and got great reviews.
Jan 14, 2015
Since making this recipe exactly as printed is the best and only posole served in this house! Outstanding!!
Dec 31, 2012
This is the Posole I remember when I lived in Taos, NM 40 years ago. I tend to use bouillon cubes instead of broth, unless I have fresh. I really like to use fresh CHICKEN broth (or cubes). Additionally I use fresh chilis and or Anaheim chilies(instead of canned chilis) but add late to the cooking process so they don't 'disappear'. It sounds like I'm changing up the recipe but back then we used what we had and the spices for this recipe are spot on. My wife hates hominy but loves this soup especially with lots of garnish (but we substitute jicama for the radish).
Dec 8, 2012
Good recipe! I did add 1 - 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, and used low sodium beef broth, plus omitted the salt to make is lower in sodium.