Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup red raspberry preserves
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel sprinkled with 2 tablespoons coconut. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat 3/4 cup cream until stiff peaks form. Unroll cake; spread preserves over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Spread whipped cream over preserves. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter with remaining cream; stir until smooth. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with remaining coconut; let stand until set.
Editor's NoteLook for unsweetened coconut in the baking or health food section.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 261 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2018
This recipe turned out great! Some folks are intimidated by cake rolls but this was very easy! I am a big fan of coconut and chocolate -and this was a perfect choice for dessert. I sprinkled addn'l shredded coconut over the chocolate. Very impressive.