Lamb Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This is what I call "comfort food". My grandmother used to make it.
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 8 frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour and pepper. Add lamb, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a non-stick skillet, brown lamb in batches in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onions, beans and carrot; cover and cook 20-30 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Transfer stew to a greased 5-cup baking dish. Pipe or spoon mash potatoes around edges. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
1 piece: 416 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1603mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Lamb Shepherd's Pie
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC