- 1/2 medium lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 lamb shanks (about 12 ounces each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- Rub lemon and garlic over the lamb shanks; let stand for 10 minutes. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add shanks, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a shallow roasting pan. Stir the remaining flour into the skillet; cook and stir until browned. Stir in the consomme, water and vermouth until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the onion. Pour over lamb. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn shanks; add the carrots and celery. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.