Lamb Shanks Deluxe
I got this recipe from my mom. The lamb shanks are so tender and make a deliciously flavored gravy. —Sue Draheim
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 lamb shanks (about 12 ounces each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- Rub lemon and garlic over the lamb shanks; let stand for 10 minutes. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add shanks, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a shallow roasting pan. Stir the remaining flour into the skillet; cook and stir until browned. Stir in the consomme, water and vermouth until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the onion. Pour over lamb. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn shanks; add the carrots and celery. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
TEST KITCHEN TIPTrim the fat from the shanks before cooking. Thicken juices for gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 393 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 2082mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Lamb Shanks Deluxe in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.