"This quick-and-easy recipe is a great way to use up leftover lamb - and so good, your family will never guess it's a second-day dish," assures Maxine Cenker of Weirton, West Virginia. "It's also good with beef," she adds.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (6.8 ounces) beef-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cooked lamb or beef, cut into thin strips
- Set rice seasoning packet aside. In a large skillet, saute the rice mix in butter until browned. Stir in water and contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute vegetables in oil until crisp-tender. Add lamb and vegetables to the rice. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink and rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 369 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 12, 2013
Since our kids are grown and moved away my wife and I struggle to find a good recipe for our leftover lamb. This fits the bill. It is quick,easy and very good. It also makes great leftovers!