VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat (3/4-inch pieces)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 16 pita pocket halves, warmed
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown lamb in batches. Transfer lamb to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, reserving drippings in skillet.
- In drippings, saute onion over medium heat until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in wine, 1 teaspoon salt, oregano and basil. Add to lamb. Cook, covered, on low until lamb is tender, 6-8 hours.
To serve, dice enough cucumber to measure 1 cup; thinly slice remaining cucumber. Combine diced cucumber with yogurt and remaining salt. Fill pitas with lamb mixture, tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and yogurt mixture.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled lamb mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lamb Pitas with Yogurt Sauce in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017