Ladyfinger Cream Sandwiches
Dainty and delicious, these elegant, finger-sandwich treats were whipped up by our Test Kitchen home economists and make the perfect finish to any spring or ladies’ luncheon. Guests will be licking the sugar off their fingers and asking for seconds, so have plenty on hand!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers, split
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, sugar substitute, salt and 2-1/2 cups milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Place tops of ladyfingers on an ungreased baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and milk; lightly brush over ladyfingers. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread custard over the bottoms of ladyfingers. Replace tops. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 129 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Ladyfinger Cream Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.