VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1-1/3 cups vanilla frosting
- Red paste food coloring
- 2 large white gumdrops
- 3 large black gumdrops
- 1 rope black licorice
- 1 shoestring black licorice
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and mayonnaise on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. ovenproof bowl.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from bowl to a wire rack to cool completely. Place on a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Spread over cake. For eyes, flatten white gumdrops and shape into ovals; place on ladybug. Cut black gumdrops horizontally into three slices; discard tops. Slightly flatten slices; place two on white gumdrops for pupils, securing with a toothpick if necessary. Arrange remaining slices on body for spots, pressing down gently.
- Cut rope licorice into six pieces; insert into cake for legs. Cut a small piece from the shoestring licorice; add for mouth. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Ladybug Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p15
Reviews forLadybug Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2011
"Its just plain ugly!!"