Lactose-Free Veggie-Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (12.3 ounces) silken extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a large bowl, mash tofu with lemon juice. Stir in the spinach, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Add to mushroom mixture; heat through. Spoon into shells.
- 3. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- 4. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
3 each: 198 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Lactose-Free Veggie-Stuffed Shells
"I made this recipe for my lunch group - and everyone loved it! No one believed that the filling was lactose free!"
"emailed my oldest daughter this recipe...as she is vegan...and so it this recipe...she was happy to get it..."
"I recently found out I am allergic to dairy. So I pleased when I saw your Lactose-free Veggie-stuffed Shells. I made it last night and everyone, even kids, cleaned their plate. Thank you for great recipes for those of us who have allergies!"