Kumquat and Chocolate Cheesecake
We have a variety of fruit trees in our yard, including an orange and a kumquat tree. When I was thinking of what to make with the fruit besides preserves, cheesecake came to mind. This treat has a classic Christmastime combination of chocolate and citrus. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 50 cookies)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 medium navel orange
- 2-3/4 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped kumquats (about 4)
- Semisweet chocolate curls, sliced kumquats
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine gingersnaps and butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased 8-in. springform pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Place chopped chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Finely grate enough zest from orange to measure 4 teaspoons. Cut orange crosswise in half; squeeze juice from orange. In a large bowl, beat ricotta cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in chopped kumquats, orange juice, zest, vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly browned and top is dry to the touch (center 5 inches of cheesecake will not be set), 70-80 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled.
- Remove rim from pan. Top cheesecake with chocolate curls and thinly sliced kumquats.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 435 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.